Mysterious Files

     

Question: I am preparing to upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro. While cleaning up my system and removing unnecessary files, I noticed a string of fi les in my C folder, with names like bdlog.txt, bdr-im or -bz, and so forth. I have attached a copy of the fi le names, but I have not been able to identify what program they may belong to. I was hoping you might have an answer as to how I can identify them so I don’t remove something I need. As they occupy over 8GB of space it would be nice to know. So far my Internet searches have not found anything and trying various programs on my system to open them have not worked, although one fi le did have a note stating it could be opened with a bootloader program—Eli Cohen

THE DOCTOR RESPONDS: Those files are normal, provided you’re using BitDefender antivirus. Bdlog.txt is a normal activity log, and the various bdrim and bdr-bz files are related to the Rescue Mode bootable Linux environment. Apparently BitDefender just dumps all this stuff into the root of the C drive rather than in a Program Files/BitDefender folder. So it’s just annoying, not malicious.


TECHNO ITEM LIST